Two weeks ago we discussed IBM Food Trust, block-chain technology to help the food industry with Traceability.  On Monday IBM announced a $33 Billion deal to buy Red Hat, the operating system on which our Food Connex systems run.  Part of my job is to keep my audience abreast of these issues, even if you don't usually focus on these topics.  Today we'll look at how 'open-source' technology can keep money in your pocket. 

 

Open Source: Denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified.  The Open Source Initiative gives the full Open-Source definition and tracks the use of the term Open Source in our industry. The key word to my mind is free.

By making your code available to the technical public you get a lot:

  • Free marketing
  • Enter markets you haven’t been in before
  • Lower the cost of development internally
  • Use it as an advertising platform

Really sounds like something you should be doing doesn’t it?

Action Items:

Use the Cloud to smooth your business process and make information more available.

Ginni Rometty, IBM CEO said in her interview on CNBC that only 20% of Companies have moved to the Cloud which leaves 80% of the over estimated $1 trillion cloud marketplace. Utilizing cloud technologies is the most effective way to lower your Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for many software solutions.

Utilize mobile solutions:

Walmart has opened a Sam’s Club Now that will utilize the a Smart Phone App allowing you to scan items with your phone and check out automatically.  At Food Connex we recently started shipping our Mobile Scan and Ship solution based on Chrome (a result of the Chromium open source project) and Android (open source) technologies. In addition our servers in the Cloud use Linux (open source).

For a free Copy of our Cloud Advantages just click here.




 

 

 

Issue 643 - Blocking and Tackling Revisited

I have decided to get away from all this technology discussion and dust off the archives from 11 years ago in the interest of getting back to basics. My longtime readers remember about blocking and tackling, Vince Lomabardi taught us what that meant. Making more bottom line profit is about the basics.

Read more ...